After I converted from Windows last year I still avoided to convert my old emails. Well – this weekend the time has come. After a long hard road of try and error I came to the following conclusion:
1) Setup a new Virtual Machine with Windows XP (includes Outlook Express)
2) Install Microsoft Outlook Trial in this VM
3) Install Thunderbird in this VM
4) Open your PST files in your Outlook trial version and copy all the mails to the main PST.
5) Open Outlook Express and select “import mails from Outlook”
6) Open Thunderbird and select “import mails from Outlook Express”
7) Transfer Thunderbird’s MBOX files to Thunderbird on your Mac.
On PC the Local Folders can be found in a path like this: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Anwendungsdaten\Thunderbird\Profiles\********.default\Mail\Local Folders
On Mac it’s found in a dir like ~/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/********.default/Mail/Local Folders